Friday, May 26, 2006

TV Season Wrapup - Top 5 Villains

Now that I've finally watched the last of the season on TV, I have a few Top 5 lists to share. Consider this my "High Fidelity" moment, if you will. At least the first of many. Weigh in; I'd love to hear what you thought this season.

Let's start with the fun stuff. The Memorable Villains.

5. Peter Weller as Christopher Henderson on 24 - It's something about his lazy yet businesslike voice that made him a fun foil for always-gruff Jack Bauer this season - at first you wanted to believe him and yet you knew you couldn't. In the end he started to redeem himself, and then blew it. And Jack put a hole in him. Not surprised. Nobody messes with Jack. Especially after killing three of his best friends (Tony!! You deserved better.)

4. Robert Knepper as T-Bag on Prison Break - Knepper is so good at this role, it blows me away. I find him so utterly creepy, yet I am totally impressed by the acting. I only hope he's a really nice guy in real life, because he plays the killer/pedophile so freakingly well that if I ran into him in public I would be tempted to scream and hide. I mean, he's so disgusting but so good at it, I actually felt sorry for him in a way when Abruzzi cut off his hand to free Scofield from the handcuffs. And I'm sure that's going to come back and bite the lot of them.

3. Wade Williams as Bellick on Prison Break - Another guy I love to hate. LOVE LOVE LOVE to hate this guy because he's freakingly creepy and mean, and he loves his job with the kind of insane passion that is disturbing, considering he's a prison guard for a living. When he's duct-taped in the tunnel and tied up and thrashing around, you can see madness and fury in his face, and we're still not sure which won. In real life I bet this dude likes puppies and flowers. That's what I tell myself, anyway. Not sure I believe it.

2. William Fichtner as Sheriff Underlay on Invasion - I've liked Fichtner since he was chemist Ryan on 'Grace Under Fire'. He started off as morally ambiguous, morphed into a villain, and turned into a hero in the space of one season of a low-rated show. Brilliantly done, and I'm so sorry we won't have a second season to enjoy him. Someone else will give him a job, I know it, and when he shows up, watch him in whatever role it is!

1. Gregory Itzin as President Logan on 24 - After several seasons of the morally upright President David Palmer, we get this slimy little weasel of a president who doesn't have a clue what he's doing and still thinks it must be the right thing because he's justified it to himself over and over and over. At first I despised Logan for his absolute weakness and unwillingness to make a decision. Then I despised him for his sheer stupidity and bull-headedness, all in the face of scandal and utter disaster, loss of human life, sacrifice and terrorism. GIVE THIS MAN THE EMMY ALREADY!!!!!

Honorable Mentions: Autumn Reeser as Taylor Townsend on The O.C. (annoying in her perfection but later flawed and likeable despite it); MC Gainey as Mr Friendly on Lost (what a great voice that creepy guy has!); Marne Patterson as Christie Jenkins on Charmed (a little wooden as an actress, but still I wasn't sorry when her sister had to destroy her at the end of the show so our heroines could have a happy ending); and last but certainly not least, Harry Hamlin as Aaron Echolls on Veronica Mars (were you sorry when Duncan hired a guy to put a bullet in that rapist/murderer's head, after all the pain he's inflicted on Logan and Veronica and everybody else in Neptune? No, me neither.)

Stay tuned for further lists! I love lists too much to stop now!!

No comments: