Monday, May 01, 2006

At The Gate

My own real blog. Have I moved into the 21st century? Considering I had to have someone explain 'bluetooth' to me a few weeks ago, maybe I'm still hovering. Shuddup, I'm old. And crabby. And unemployed.

I decided to do this as a break while hunting for a job. I could see it coming, so I'm not bitter - why keep the young single gal when you can hire the older married has-a-house-wife-and-kids guy? (Can you hear me restraining myself from being a lot more blunt? I'm feeling charitable today. That won't last.) And I was itching for something new anyway. And a co-worker suggested a racing blog, but I'm going to pepper this with other tidbits too for those of you not into horse racing (most of you, I expect - but give me time to convert you...)

And how could I be bitter anyway, when the Kentucky Derby is less than a week away? More on that later this week, I expect.

In the meantime, stay tuned for racing tips, job hunting escapades and how utterly bored a person can get with doing their laundry and watching Dr Phil. (I swear to you I am going to try to avoid Dr Phil at all costs.)

Your horse-racing tip of the day: if you are going to watch the Kentucky Derby Saturday and you are going to make mint juleps (after the first one they actually taste pretty good) NEVER USE TENNESSEE WHISKEY. That's sacrilegious. You MUST use Kentucky Bourbon. I recommend Woodford Reserve if you can get it.

Laura :-)

PS A shoutout must go to my Santa Hat girls. You know who you are!

3 comments:

Sarah Knapp said...

Yay Santa Hat Girls-you all rock:-)
So the derby eh? My grandma makes a big deal about it and we always picked our horses when we were younger. I'll have to try and catch it Saturday! Enjoy your mint drinks in the meantime, maybe you can use this week to perfect your recipe;-)

Michael said...

Congrats on finally getting the blog up and running. I'll have to get yours linked to mine later today!!

cathleen said...

Woot! Lemmie in da hizzouse!

Welcome to the blogging world. (From someone who's horribly delinquent on her own...)