Monday, May 08, 2006

Derby Wrapup

Well, the Derby was run something like I thought it might be but not quite how I pictured it. Then again, is any Derby ever run quite like you expect? I still say cut the field down to 16. 20 horses is, as described by many people, a calvary charge into the first turn. Traffic did in Brother Derek - I'm curious to see how he does in future races, considering he showed so much talent early on. Then again, has anybody heard from Bellamy Road after last year's Derby disappointment??

Barbaro sat just off the pace and showed some tremendous agility and speed, especially close to the fast pace set by Keyed Entry and Sinister Minister. I was surprised he had that much left after a half in 46 seconds - so I'm really curious, after this, to see how he runs the Preakness and Belmont. His trainer gave him a five week layoff prior to the Derby, so a short two-week layoff might be too much for him - and then again, it might not. This should be really something! Thanks to Cat, by the way, for indulging me during the FairWellField pre-party and letting me watch the race.

And thanks to everyone who said they missed my Derby show with Seth Harp - I missed it too, and so did he. Not everyone I worked with had the foresight to recognize that when you have a resource like me around close to the first Saturday in May to use that resource, because it always got good buzz and good ratings. You know who you are. Your loss and your show's loss.

You may notice that Steppenwolfer came in third. So I wasn't far off as far as he was concerned. I didn't expect the showing we got from Bluegrass Cat to place - I'll be honest in saying I figured he was better at 2. Hey, nobody's perfect, especially handicapping the Derby!

On another note, we had a great time Saturday night reminiscing with former Fairfielders and it was a great time - I will miss a lot of those folks and hope to get chances to see them again soon.

More racing thoughts later. Besides, what am I doing inside on such a nice day? Oh yeah, looking for a job.

Job hunting tip of the day: Call everyone you know when you're out of work. EVERYONE. The city manager actually returned my call - he didn't have a job for me, but at least it was networking!

No comments: