Thursday, June 01, 2006

TV Season Cont - Top 5 Underappreciated Heroes

I really need something else to do with my time, but as you can see, I don't have it.

The Top 5 Underappreciated Heroes of the past TV season!

5. Rex Linn as Frank on CSI Miami - This guy brings a splash of Southern business to the CSI:Miami team, making him a good foil for the occasionally overacting-prone David Caruso (who I still like on this show, overacting or not). Somebody make Linn a regular cast member! I keep worrying someone is going to kill him off. And dammit, I like Frank. DO YOU HEAR ME, CSI MIAMI? FRANK ROCKS! Now they really are going to kill him off...*sigh*

4. The Halliwell Sisters (Holly Marie Combs as Piper, Alyssa Milano as Phoebe, and Rose McGowan as Paige) on Charmed - Whether or not you like the cult show is beyond the point. It occasionally cribs heavily from other series and movies, but you gotta love a story about three devoted sisters and their real-life troubles (kids and love lives, usually with very cute men) and the mystical ones (being powerful witches). And all in a kick-ass house that frequently gets blown up. And a happy ending. And a lot of "There's no way you could wear that to work!" - wait, that last one is me, usually commenting on Alyssa Milano's clothes. (As a PS - my niece got the middle name Paige sort of inadvertantly from the show, but I have to say, if she grows up to be like Paige I would be very proud - Paige is upbeat, smart, compassionate, friendly and a good sister - all things I hope for, for Isabelle.)

3. Amaury Nolasco as Sucre on Prison Break - He puts up with all of Scofield's scientific hoo-ha, all so he can go home to his girl and their baby. He does whatever he has to to help the process, including 'hanging the sheet' which is a signal to other prisoners that you're, um, busy. It was a tough call between him and Rockmond Dunbar as C-Note, who gets an honorable mention for coming up with the mother of all "I'm not in Jail honey" stories - he keeps telling his wife he's in Iraq. AND SHE BUYS IT. Maybe he ought to be single after all, if she's that stupid.

2. Tina Majorino as Mac on Veronica Mars - Forget her role in Napolean Dynamite! She frequently saves the day on this show, and even tried to sleep with a murderer, although she didn't know it at the time (poor girl, I wanted her to have dates, but with Beaver? Who turned out to be a killer?). She was switched at birth with a snotty cheerleader, who ended up with the house with money, but she's not bitter about it. And if she wasn't around, who would Veronica turn to for her professional computer hacking? An episode is always better if Mac is in it (and if Logan is making snotty comments to Veronica, but that's another story altogether.)

1. Glenn Morshower as Aaron Pierce on 24 - He's been around to save the day so many times I don't even know where to start (and this is on a show full of heroic behavior). He and the First Lady conspired with Jack Bauer to bring down the scheming, lying President, who got a bunch of people killed. And even through all that, he nurses a crush on the First Lady, who also gets an honorable mention here - Jean Smart was BRILLIANT. I didn't know after Designing Women that she had it in her, but she was fabulous as the drugged out, slightly-crazy-but-not-that-crazy First Lady. So, after all this, you know Pierce is going to get a bullet next season. It's just the way of the show. :-(

Honorable Mentions: Say what you will about whether she's too thin or creepy or whatever, but I loved Marcia Cross as Bree on Desperate Housewives this season. She's slowly coming unglued, her son seduces her boyfriend, her daughter dates a killer, and her ex boyfriend knocks off her husband and then commits suicide (thinking she'll save him). First season, Bree was an annoying perfectionist. This season she's a woman in crisis. When she dropped Andrew off in the middle of the road, I was right there agreeing with her, because he'd finally crossed the line with me. Sure, she's an annoying mother to have, and she created the monsters her children have become, but you can't help feeling for her. I always love Terry O'Quinn as Locke on Lost, and you can make arguments for Sun and Jin, Rose and Bernard, Mr Eko, even the misguided Ana Lucia, in any comment on Lost heroes. But I love the battle between faith and logic in Locke's mind, and Mr. Eko's sheer faith in the hatch, the button, the island. That battle this season was one of the more interesting, even as most of it was done in words, not with guns or fists. And who could forget my favorite Supernatural boys? Jared Padalecki as Sam and Jensen Ackles as Dean, particularly Ackles, make my guilty pleasure show all the better-looking - I mean, better.

Job hunting tip of the day: If you think you're going to be laid off, raise the limit on your credit card (if you can handle credit wisely) or apply for another card - just for backup in case the search takes longer than unemployment will assist you. Also, apply for that computer credit - I would love a Dell laptop right now, but to pay monthly, I'd have to get approved first. I wish I'd done that while I still had a job!

1 comment:

Michael said...

You need to find a TV critic job somewhere. I've NEVER known someone who watches as much as you do. I get into one show every five years, and this time it's Lost... I think Locke needs to be in your villians list, not heroes!