Sunday, February 17, 2008

Partial Movie Review for 'Hitchhiker's'

I was fully intent upon writing a review for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which I recently taped off Sci-Fi. But upon watching it I came to the conclusion that I really shouldn't.

I just don't get it.

I don't get the big deal over Douglas Adams' seminal work. I find it only vaguely witty but mostly disturbing - and I have read it, although that was years ago. I know a lot of people find it almost a religious experience. Me, I just don't. I don't get it at all.

So writing a movie review seems a little silly.

I realize this is a form of British humor, and while I appreciate some British humor, sometimes it has to grow on me. (I prefer the murder mystery, myself. The British mysteries are among the best anywhere.) I felt that way about Monty Python, which did grow on me after time. But Hitchhiker's generally hasn't.

I will say that Sam Rockwell has a hilarious time as Zaphod Beeblebrox, and it's really odd how much Zooey Deschanel (Trillium) resembles her sister Emily, who plays Temperance Brennan on 'Bones.' And I can say that Marvin the depressed robot plays better on screen than in the book, especially when voiced by Alan Rickman. And there are cameos by John Malkovich and Bill Nighy, among others. But I found Beeblebrox's two heads really rather disturbing, and the Vogons look like rejects from 'Dark Crystal.' It's that surreal sci-fi that leaves me feeling a little squirmy.

I'm sure in some way I'm missing what's witty and clever about it - I can admit that there's a lot going on there; it just doesn't appeal to me, nor do I feel that I connect to it, and that's essential to humor. Anyway, if you know what it is I'm missing about this, feel free to let me in on the secret.

In the meantime, I'm sticking to the far-less-surreal world of British murder mystery. There's a stack of Midsomer Murders, Maigret and Mrs. Bradley DVDs just waiting for me.

No comments: