Sunday, February 10, 2008

Too Many Drivers, So Few Victories

In my family, car racing is like a religion. If you don't have somebody to worship - I mean, follow - in every league, you might be assigned one. And in my case that could mean Kevin "Crash" Cogan, who once took Mario Andretti out of the Indy 500 in the first lap, meaning my mother didn't want to speak to me for the rest of the race.

But with all the drivers changing leagues, I decided to look over which drivers I've either rooted for the in past (I figure once I pick a driver, I'm sticking with them regardless of league) or am rooting for now - or both. Trust me, it gets a little wonky. And that's if you can keep track of the name of each league. (WHY is NASCAR called 'Sprint Cup' when they run long races????)

NASCAR - Patrick Carpentier, Scott Riggs, Jamie McMurray
Last season I thought, "Gee, I don't have anyone to root for, and I really should. Riggs is closer in age to me, and McMurray's cute. That'll work." Neither one did bupkas last year. Then Carpentier, who was one of my longtime open-wheelers (who disappeared for a while) popped up in NASCAR this season. So he's my #1, and the other guys are backups. This is all because Terry Labonte retired, and there was NO WAY I was rooting for Kyle Busch in the Kellogg car.

CHAMP Car - Katherine Legge
I always try to root for every woman, in any league. I'm all about girl power and shutting up people like Robby Gordon, who bitched about Danica Patrick being lighter and thus having faster times in her car. Um, Robby, you're just pissed cuz she's a better driver than you. Or even Richard Petty, who basically said women don't belong in racing. I want them to eat their words in a crow sandwich. Anyway, since Champ Car used to be CART and such, my drivers have all changed a couple of times, and now this league is like mini Formula 1. And so Katherine's all I've got in this league now!

IRL - Here's where it gets weird - Sarah Fisher, Danica Patrick, Scott Sharp, and to a much lesser extent, Milka Duno.
I started pulling for Sarah and Scott first (this is even assuming he's going to run IRL this year because he's not listed on the web page). Then Danica came in and created a huge fuss. So of course I've got to pull for her - because that woman deserves a win, and to shut people up. And then like I said, I pull for all gals. Thus Milka too, but to a much lesser extent.

American LeMans Series
Okay, now that I've done some research, it looks like Sharp is now running in this league, even though he's not on this web page either. So I guess I'm pulling for him here. *shrug* Otherwise, I just don't care.

Misc Road Racing
Scott Pruett is an old open wheel favorite of mine (I think he looks like a nice guy) - and he recently was part of the team that won the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona. He does a lot of road racing, 24 hour endurance stuff, and who knows what else. So whenever he shows up, I root for him. But it's kind of sporadic.

Formula 1
Bores me, so I don't have a driver here.

Um. Yeah. This is the sign of a sick family, isn't it?

No comments: