Sunday, December 09, 2007

Some Television Rambling

Most of you know I happen to like my TV on, and it's generally on regardless of what I'm doing. This morning while I was reading the paper and catching up on the circulars (I love to see what's for sale even if I have no intention of going shopping) I turned on CMT's 'Crossroads' because a couple of my friends raved about it, and I'm watching LeAnn Rimes and Joss Stone really tear it up. (Plus, it's nice that it's a show I can listen to instead of actually having to watch intently.) They both have such incredible voices, and while their musical styles are entirely different, they really mesh well together. I saw a video once of a song Martina McBride and Pat Benatar did, and I wish I'd seen that show.

Earlier today I caught up on last week's Men In Trees. Well, parts of it. I skip all of the parts except the ones with Pastor Eric in them. (X-Files fans will recognize my favorite villain in the role, and he's such a doll in this part I just get all gooey watching it. Really. Goo.) I want one just like that. Except for the celibacy part. Well, and I don't see myself actually dating a pastor. But you get my point. He's freakin' adorable.

I've been catching up, a little, on Battlestar Galactica - SciFi replayed some of S3 (my shorthand for Season Three) and it's been nice to watch one of those and get a little caught up on the storyline. (So they don't talk about the other five models of Cylon? Really?) It's a little tough to fill in the blanks between episodes; I'm reading synopses of the episodes they're not showing so I know what's going on. It's so intense, and I love hearing the dialogue - well-written dialogue just brings me to my knees, really - and seeing how the characters have been written - how they take even the smallest part and it's written so well you never feel short-changed on backstory or find yourself not buying what the show's selling. So yeah, I don't just watch TV, I really LOOK at it - how were the characters written? What's the language like? ('Firefly' is a great example of excellent language - meshing today's language with that of the old west and the future - man, is that well done.)

Plus I'm catching up on The 4400; Isabelle is wreaking havoc wherever she can to keep Shawn by her side and nobody but Tom is taking her threat seriously. And Tom's girlfriend just left to keep herself safe from prosecution. This show has the weirdest premise, yet it's all so seamless and it always feels real to me, even when it wanders off into something quite unreal.

And while all this is going on, I'm cleaning house, wrapping presents, reading the paper, doing dishes, writing Christmas cards, that kind of thing. Sometimes if I want to watch something AND get something done, I'll let a taped program run instead of fast-forwarding through commercials, and clean house during ads. Today I just downed a high-caffiene tea and I expect to get a lot done! This house is kind of a mess - I finished most of my Christmas shopping yesterday - and I'm ready to tackle some wrapping! Wahoo!

Maybe I should get out of my jammies first?

No comments: