Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Busy? Oh, I Know From Busy...

I feel the need to share this because it's cracking me up!! Here's the holiday rundown and next year:

Friday: office Christmas party, at which I am to bring a white elephant gift - which is not ready to be presented yet.
Saturday: Vet visit for regular checkup for cat; holiday shopping should be finished up; Hanukkah party at friend's house
Next Saturday: Birthday party for niece, which will require overnight visit - present still to be wrapped
24th-26th: travel to visit family, Christmas, post-holiday shopping; planning of bridal shower for Charleston wedding
31st-1st: travel to visit friends for New Year's and girls' day out.

Jan 15th: presidential primary (for which work will be very busy)

Jan 19th: bridal shower/bachelorette party for cousin; requires overnight stay

Late Jan: I get older, consider mid-life crisis, realize I am still single, consider weeping copiously

March 6th-12th: Charleston visit for wedding, which is also a family vacation

First Sat in May: may or may not throw Derby party

July or Aug: must throw bridal shower/bachelorette party

Aug or Sept: wedding at which I am co-maid of honor

Oct: contract is up at work; may need to look for another job if contract not renewed

Miscellaneous: must finish wedding gifts, which are being handmade. Must finish Christmas decorating, Christmas cards, shopping and wrapping gifts; must plan bridal shower/bachelorette party; must find red shoes for Charleston wedding; must plan own part of Charleston wedding/vacation, while simultaneously organizing with all other family members; must try on dresses and generally help bride in the fall wedding in whatever way needed, as other co-maid of honor is out of state; must buy said dress, shoes, accessories, bridal shower gifts, etc; must coordinate with other bridesmaids for fall wedding, all of whom are out of town, and one of which is notoriously reticent and unreliable; must keep up with birthdays, anniversaries, children's parties, friends' events, family events, etc; must keep up with work and housework; must reorganize finances; should keep up with enjoyable hobbies like scrapbooking, cross stitch, genealogy, television and movies. And I don't even have kids.

Here's what I'm thinking: You can call me selfish, whatever you want, I honestly don't care. 2008 is going to be a really busy year, and a little bit expensive too! lol. If I have the money, I think I might just take a long weekend for myself around May or June. So...what should I do? A spa weekend? A road trip? Spend some money for something I really want? I considered going to Gainesway Farms in KY to see Afleet Alex, but that requires plane tickets or lots of driving.

I want to do something really self-indulgent, if I can afford it. I have a lot of friends who would say 'come visit!' but I'm thinking something else - yes, something that ends up being all about me and my interests. (I said you could call me selfish - I plan to be selfish.) I just don't know what I should do. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

Spa weekend would be my suggestion. Ang and I had the best "weekend" in Palm Springs doing nothing but lying by the pool, watching TV, etc. Me time is so great!