Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Big Fat Move (or) Why Chris Wants Me to be Illiterate

So I haven't been here in a while because I've been trying to move and start my new job and unpack. Safe to say, I loathe moving, the job is going well, and yes, I have too much stuff (something all my movers felt so compelled to point out that I made them recite it all at once so we could get it out of our systems). That did not, however, stop my mother from making comments behind my back or from looking into all my boxes so she could remind my friends (while rolling her eyes) that I have SO MUCH STUFF. Next time the Snotty Comment Princess stays home.

I'm still unpacking, but I'm making progress, and Luki has finally forgiven me for the drastic change. Now he's obsessed with the guest bathroom sink. The water in Lansing is MUCH better than the Kalamazoo water - one person already told me my hair looks blonde again after years of tending toward the slightly orange, despite my best efforts - and Luki seems to appreciate it. I found him sitting in the sink yesterday and wondered what he would do if I just turned on the water full blast.

But anyway, during the move people kept reminding me that moving is the best time to purge one's stuff, and the thing is, I did. I went through bookcases and boxes and closets. And I gave a lot of stuff to the library, to friends, to Goodwill. (You should have seen all the books that went out the door.) But I've also found that another good time to purge (or re-purge, so to speak) is when UNpacking. I've been going through some of the boxes and rubbermaid tubs that were already sealed up and ready to move, and I'm finding a few more things I don't really need anymore. I guess the move helped bring about the 'purge urge', since I only really get rid of stuff when I'm in the right mood to do it. So a few more boxes will probably go out the door of the new place.

Oh, and why does Chris want me to be illiterate? I still have a freakin' ton of books. A TON. That's really not an exaggeration if you had to lift them all. Now I have to figure out what to do with them. (NO, I am not getting rid of them!!!)

Horse-racing tip of the day: Saturday is the Breeders' Cup, which means I will spend approximately 7 hours in front of my television set, twitching with glee. Bernardini is the class of the Classic, but there are a few other gems in the eight races that day. Perfect Drift, my boy, runs in the Classic, and the one name I can't get out of my head is a filly named Asi Siempre. I'm not sure if she's any good but that is just the coolest name ever.

No comments: