Monday, November 20, 2006

All These Things I Think About

So I like my new hometown so far, and I like my job, even though I'm used to something much more hectic. Still, I like not having a sales manager constantly trying to dictate my news content or a company president breathing down my neck every five minutes. No micromanaging! I don't know what to do! Ha

My old city doesn't seem quite like home anymore, and my new city doesn't quite feel like home, yet, so I feel like I'm kind of caught between two places, but I know that will eventually fade and everything will straighten out. Howell still feels like home to some degree and I haven't lived there in 15 years, so I suppose I'll always feel some sort of kinship to Kzoo.

I admit that I have a bit of a 'habit' when it comes to television (and Chex Mix, but that's neither here nor there). I read the TV Guide online comments and I post from time to time (those of you who know my horse racing fetish will be able to figure out who I am). One of my fave shows is 'Supernatural' - two hot guys, a hot car, ghosts and other beasties, and the occasional Rush tune. What's not to like? But I read the comments posted on the website, and I can't get over the fangirlness! These people are gushing like Jensen and Jared are going to win Oscars some day, and I gotta say, it slays me! Like I roll my eyes when they get all protective and analytical of every tic and twitch and sad face, and it's all I can do not to snort. And then it occurs to me - didn't I do the same damn thing with the X-Files?

Well, sort of. I mean, I overanalyzed that show to the nth degree, and I was a huge fangirl/shipper (and don't EVEN get me started on how hot Krycek is). But when it came to that gun-toting, one-armed bad boy, I wasn't overanalyzing his every eyebrow raise like it was going to win him an Emmy. I was just picturing him ..... um, let's just stop there.

I guess I just have a thing about jumping headlong into any sort of hero worship, any overwhelming trust, any slobbering devotion, all of it. I tend to be skittish about devoting myself wholeheartedly to anything that asks for such complete immersion. (Which is part of the reason why I'm not a regular churchgoer, but that's a discussion for another time. And it's probably a good reason why I'm not married.) I used to do anything I could to keep my friends around (when I was young) and made a total ass of myself, and I've gone the other way in my old age - a little too selfish, in self-preservation. Which doesn't excuse my behavior on occasion, but at least I recognize the fault. So to listen to these people gush wildly about these CW actors, of all people, strikes me as both ludicrous and funny, like they don't have anything else to do but slobber headlong over two twenty-somethings. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the show - it's the high point of my week almost (Veronica Mars is right up there too, what a damn good show!) and yes, the acting is good, and the scripts are fun, but I guess I find the fangirl admiration a bit thick.

Then again, if that's the worst thing that happens to me all week, I'm doing really well. And that's the beauty of having a free country!

I'm glad the elections are over, because the ads were so wretched I don't even know where to begin. One woman was painted by her opponent this way: "She supports gay marriage. And opposes traditional marriage." NOW WAIT A DAMN MINUTE. I think if you polled everyone in this world about their feelings on marriage, you might get 1/2 of 1% who really think marriage as an institution is a crock. But everybody else probably doesn't have anything against it. So supporting gay marriage means you oppose traditional marriage? What the hell is that?? Look, if you're lucky enough to find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, God bless you, and I envy you. The woman didn't win, but it was a close one, and she wasn't even expected to do as well as she did. My guess is people got sick of that crap real fast.

And I 'm glad we defeated the mourning dove ballot. You mean we DON'T have enough to kill in Michigan, we've got to shoot these fat stupid little birds???? (That I happen to like because they're fat and stupid and have that sad little cry?) I'm glad people realized that banning mourning dove hunting wasn't a slam on all of hunting, even though people tried to paint it that way. I personally do not get what is fun about killing things, but whatever. Keep your trophies out of my sight, and we're good.

I didn't quite mean to get on a soapbox. It just sort of happened that way.

Anybody watch Prison Break? When Sara sticks the iron to Kellerman? I'm in the house whooping at the TV. The neighbors have no idea what to think by now. She's gotta come save Michael from Mahone. And Kellerman's screwed. Whaddya wanna bet he starts to help the brothers now? That would be FAB.

See, there I go, all fangirl.

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

I totally get the whole hometown thing! Howell will always be that way and it's hard to believe I was in Kzoo 6 yrs!
I think a little TV obsession is a good thing, there could be worse things:-)