Monday, August 21, 2006

Lost in the Fog

I found out yesterday that champion sprinter Lost in the Fog has terminal cancer, a rarity among horses, I've since learned. He's back at home where he'll get pampered until he shows signs of being in pain, and then he'll be euthanized. I'm sorry to see this end for the horse - he was gutsy and he won something like 11 straight sprints leading up to the Breeders Cup Sprint last year, which he lost.

Anyway, the racing world will be much poorer without Lost in the Fog, and I'm sorry to see him go, but I'm happy at least that his last days will be spent in comfort, and that he won't suffer.

Barbaro Update: Some good news - Barbaro is going outside to graze about a half hour every day, and he is no longer in need of the sling to keep him comfortable and keep the weight off his hind legs. He's not out of the woods yet, but the video I've seen shows him acting like a perfectly normal horse - his ears forward, his eyes bright, tearing up the grass. I also hear they've cut back on the medication he needed early on. Some good racing news after the bad news above.

No comments: