Monday, July 13, 2009

The Podcast Primer

As you might know, I listen to a lot of podcasts, usually while walking on my lunch hour. I prefer podcasts that deal with favorite sports and television programs from a variety of hosts. With that in mind, I have a few suggestions for making your podcast stand out among the many on I-Tunes.

1. Production Value - Get yourself some introductory theme music that puts people in the right frame of mind. Break up your segments with a sound clip, and have regular segments so people tune in to hear the news, or the episode review, or whatever uniqueness you bring to the podcast universe. There are, I understand, websites where you can get free podcast music. Why not use it and jazz up your show? Or better yet, write your own. And use a system or program that gives radio quality sound. I don't want to feel like I'm listening in on a long-distance phone call. Great example of fun production value: The Lost Podcast with Jay and Jack.

2. Think Fan, not Fangirl - I'm with you ladies, okay? Jensen Ackles is hot. David Boreanaz is smoking. Jamie Bamber sans towel is enough to make you fall off the sofa. Or conversely, yes, Spiderman IS the coolest superhero, if it makes you feel better (actually, in my world, that's Batman, but whatever). I love fans. Drooling fangirls and fanboys can be a little annoying, especially if there's never anything wrong with the show in question and they keep repeating how HOT the lead actor is. Every show has ups and downs and the lead actor can occasionally be dorky (Apollo's lawyer haircut, anybody?). Be sure to share them all - the goods and the bads. If I wanted cheerleaders, I'd watch Heroes. Great example of perfect fan-ism: Supernatural Podcast.

3. I Am Not the Jonas Brothers - No giggling. Please? I know this is aimed unfairly at women, but I cannot take the girly tee-hee, which usually goes with excessive fangirlism. I opted out of a podcast because the two young women who hosted it kept giggling, saying "Woo-hoo" repeatedly and trying to sound knowledgeable about things they were not knowledgeable about. Sweetie, you don't say his name Luc Robi-tally, okay? Watch some hockey then get back to me. Great example of no giggling but lots of fun: The Answer Bitch Show

4. Keep It Short - I like my podcasts under an hour - 20 minutes tops if they're teaching me something. Feature films don't even go two hours all the time, why should you? That's two lunch hours to me, and if you're just chatting, it's just boring. Great example of podcast length: Stuff You Missed in History Class

5. Be Prepared - Come into your podcast with all your notes, know what you're going to say, and say it concisely. If you're partnered up with somebody, make sure you all know what you're going to say ahead of time. Don't babble or leave dead air while you wait for somebody to chime in who isn't going to or who doesn't know what the next point made is going to be (remember outlines back in speech class?). Chatting is fine if it fits the point and serves a purpose, but rambling on is worthless if you sound awkward doing it. Know what episodes you're referring to, character names, and for heaven's sake, know your actors. A really good internet connection next to you doesn't hurt in case you hit a blank. And charisma among hosts is a must. Great examples of preparedness and charisma: Galactic Watercooler; The Fringe Podcast.

Podcasting is 21st-century radio, after all. The least you can do is make it sound like it.

No comments: