Thursday, January 08, 2009

Regifting

In reading a CNN article today, I wondered, just how many people actually regift things?

I ask because I never do it. Sure, I have parted with things people have given me. But I've always been up front about it, and it's never in lieu of another gift - one I either bought or made. I've done it in the sense of, "I can't use this, or it doesn't fit, or I no longer use this - can you get some use out of it?"

I'm not counting white elephant gift exchanges in this, because by it's very definition white elephant is regifting. I'm talking about passing off a gift someone gave you as new for someone else. Maybe I carry too much guilt, but I just couldn't do it.

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

I don't think I've ever just outright regifted something. But this year I did get a disney popcorn tub (ceramic) in a gift basket as a raffle prize at an event and I knew I'd never use it and my cousin loves disney movies so I took it home and filled it with a movie, candy and popcorn for her birthday. I thought she'd like it and she did. But I didn't tell her where I got it. I felt okay with that.