Saturday, June 30, 2007

Getting Dressed

I went shopping for clothes yesterday, trying to find a top that would simultaneously work on casual Fridays at the office and for any family gathering where it was too chilly to go sleeveless, but too warm to wear long sleeves. I didn't have a whole lot of luck. Which is why I generally take people with me when I go shopping. I need to know what really does look good on me, even though I'm not so sure. I have no sense of what works or what doesn't, even after years of watching 'What Not To Wear' on TLC.

And one of my other problems is I'm often buying clothes for a couple of different 'mes'. Let me explain.

'LA' likes to wear yoga pants and tank tops, cotton shorts and concert t-shirts and Teva sandals. She's all about comfort, and you most often see her on a Saturday afternoon watching horse racing. She doesn't wear scent but prefers the smell of fabric softener and dryer sheets. (Laugh all you want, I find them comforting.)

'Anne' dresses for the office. She likes dress pants and boots, and the occasional suit, skirt or slingback. She likes crisp button down shirts and fitted jackets. She could stand to even class up a bit sometimes, even on casual Fridays. She wears scents like perfume, Japanese Cherry Blossom, Black Raspberry Vanilla and Night-Blooming Jasmine.

'Laura' goes to family events and children's birthday parties in skorts and sleeveless camp shirts, wearing nice sandals and looking wholesome and fresh. She wears Cherry Blossom, Jasmine Vanilla and Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin scents.

Then there's 'Alex.' Alex is the hell on wheels sexy version. She wants fitted boot-cut jeans and pointy-toed boots, fitted tees, leather jackets and maybe a cowboy hat from time to time. She doesn't show up very often because her venue is Saturday nights out, and there aren't many of those, so these days she lives in the imagination only. Oh, and she wears apple-scented products, along with tasty food scents, like Fantasia di Cicciolata and Creme Brulee.

So I'm often trying to dress at least four distinct personalities, sometimes more, depending on the season, location, day of the week and state of mind. Lately I've been trying to work a little Alex into the other personalities, because I've been single forever and frankly, Alex is a lot of fun. And from time to time I get tired of comfort and cuteness and being clean cut, and pretty much want to rebel (even at age 34). But I don't know how to do it right for me.

And when I don't know what else to do, I turn to what I'm used to. That means I have a lot of LA and Laura clothes, but not so many good Anne outfits and definitely very few Alex outfits.

Which is why I should never go shopping alone.

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

I agree, shopping alone is not a good option. We had to go through Ang's closet when I got to Yuma and throw quite a few things out she'd purchased on outings by herself to the mall:-)
Let Alex shine, she's got moxie!