Monday, January 29, 2007

Crappy Birthday To Me

By now you've probably heard what happened to Barbaro. The Kentucky Derby winner was euthanized today after complications from surgery. I saw it coming; the vet had been using the word 'quit' far more often than in the past, but I had had hope. Up until recently he'd been doing well and talk had been that he'd move to a farm soon. Then the problems began.

I'm afraid this means that any other horse that suffers the same injury will be euthanized immediately. I had hoped his survival would mean good things for other injured horses, but consensus will likely be they should be put down immediately.

This sport just breaks your heart sometimes.

2 comments:

Sarah Knapp said...

When Angela told me about him, I immediately said, "Oh no, and it's Laura's birthday!" What a crappy thing to happen, any day but especially this day.
So know we're thinking of you and I hope that in spite of this you had a good BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!
Love, S.

Angela said...

When I read the news we immediately thought of you and Sarah said "oh no! It's her birthday!" I hope the rest of your day was better and I just hope the poor horse isn't in pain anymore.
Angela