Monday, September 01, 2008

The Facebook Conundrum

I've just signed up for Facebook - which I find very popular among my peers and former co-workers - but here's what I'm wondering:

Why do people want to 'friend' you on Facebook when you're pretty sure they don't really like you in person?

I assume it's just to boost their friend totals, pilfer from your friends list for anyone else they might actually like or to laugh at your profile. I don't know. Maybe I'm mistaken about their personal feelings, but I don't think so. Okay, they're probably doing it because we have friends in common, and why not, since we know each other?

Regardless, it seems like a fun way to connect with old friends - it appeals to an older set than MySpace - and I'll happily give it a try.

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

That's a good question - I just got a friend request from someone I knew in undergrad. We had a huge fight and quit talking then and never made up. Now we're "friends" on facebook, whatever. Also, someone from high school just asked me to be their friend and I have no idea who she is. I accepted in hopes I'd figure it out but nope, not at all. Oh and yeah, I've been been dissed on facebook too. My cousin deleted me as a friend. It's going to be a fun Christmas dinner! :-)